A White House official told CNN the vice president’s office did not select the kids who participated in the special. In a statement provided to CNN on Tuesday, a YouTube spokesperson said the company selected the children and defended the hiring process.
“The casting process for this show was no different from typical unscripted kids shows across other networks and streaming platforms,” the statement read. “YouTube selected the kids that were featured. We reached out via not-for-profit organizations, social media and traditional casting websites, looking for kids who were interested in contributing positively to their communities.”
The spokesperson added that YouTube is proud of the series and “we look forward to the attention shifting back to encouraging families to get excited about space exploration.”
“And then after that, like a week later, my agent called me, he’s like, ‘Hey Trevor, you booked it,’ ” Trevor told KSBW in a sit-down interview.
Trevor told the station he only knew he would be going to Washington, DC, in August to interview someone but did not know that it would be the vice president.
“Most exciting part was definitely meeting Vice President Harris,” he said in the interview, giving a glowing report of his interaction with the Californian. “There’s nothing that can top that, like honestly.”
Other children who appeared in the video are listed as actors on IMBD, an online database on actors and films.
Harris is the chair of the National Space Council, and the video was made to mark World Space Week. The video was produced by Toronto-based Sinking Ship Entertainment.
Premiering last week, it showed the children on a scavenger hunt with clues delivered by NASA astronaut Shane Kimbrough from the International Space Station and Harris showing the kids the telescope at the Observatory.
“I just love the idea of exploring the unknown,” Harris said in the nine-minute video. “To think about so much that’s out there that we still have to learn, like, I love that.”