Two people were arrested after a traffic stop in the City of Kawartha Lakes led to the seizure of drugs, weapons and stolen property earlier this week.
According to OPP, around 6:45 p.m. on Sept. 5, officers stopped a vehicle towing a boat and trailer on Mount Horeb Road, just southwest of the village of Omemee, for a Highway Traffic Act violation.
Police say their investigation determined the boat had been reported stolen. A search of the vehicle led to the seizure of a quantity of methamphetamine, cannabis and a sawed-off shotgun.
The driver and passenger were arrested and each was charged with:
- Possession of property obtained by crime under $5,000 and over $5,000
- Possession of a loaded prohibited or restricted firearm
- Careless storage of a firearm
- Possession of a Schedule I substance for the purpose of trafficking
- Two counts of possession of a Schedule IV substance for the purpose of trafficking
- Possession of over 30 grams of dried cannabis in a public place
Names of the accused were not released as the investigation remains ongoing, OPP stated Friday.
© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.