French President Emmanuel Macron has tweeted his solidarity with Austria.
France has also been the victim of several attacks in recent weeks, although the Austrian shooters’ motivation is still unknown.
Roughly translated he says: We, the French, share the shock and sadness of the Austrians after an attack in Vienna. It is a friendly country that is under attack. This is our Europe. Our enemies need to know who they are dealing with. We won’t give in to anything.
Here is the Guardian’s report for those who want to catch up on the news from Vienna so far.
The prime minister of the Netherlands has tweeted his support to the Austrian government.
An unconfirmed video posted by a member of the public appears to show a number of men, standing shirtless, unarmed with their arms up.
The video was taken through the window of a nearby apartment.
Authorities have not confirmed if all attackers have been arrested or not and police have urged all people not to post photos or videos to social media.
So just unpacking that update from the Vienna police a little bit.
Authorities have confirmed that this was not a single shooting attack but spread across six different locations. It’s unclear if these were the same attackers moving to six different locations or simultaneous attacks.
The Seitenstettengasse square was the first of these locations, and the attacked consisted of multiple people armed with rifles.
One suspect has been shot and killed by police.
Several people have been injured including a police officer.
Unclear how many killed in terror attack
The national Austrian broadcaster, ORF says emergency services in Vienna are reporting “several dead and injured:”.
The Guardian can not confirm, but local media reports have suggested that between three and eight people have been killed. This has not been verified by authorities at this point.
The APA news agency previously reported an update from Austria’s interior ministry stating one attacker was “dead”.
While many of the initial reports suggested the attack was at the Stadttempel synagogue, the Jewish community of Vienna Oskar Deutsch, confirmed the temple and nearby offices were closed at the time.
Here is his statement on Twitter.
Roughly translated he says: “It cannot be said at the moment whether Stadttempel was one of the targets. What is certain, however, is that both the synagogue in Seitenstettengasse and the office building at the same address were no longer in operation and closed at the time of the first shots.”
In any case, there was shooting in the immediate vicinity of Stadttempel. All parishioners were asked not to enter public streets and to remain in closed rooms until the all-clear from the security authorities.
Here is the initial post from the Vienna police department.
Rough Translation: “There were several exchanges of fire around the inner city. Several people are injured. We are on the scene with all available forces. Please avoid all public places in the city.”
Police have urged people not to share any photos or video on social media, translating the message into several languages.
Hello, and thank you for joining us.
Several people have been wounded in Vienna, after an “apparent terrorist attack” near a synagogue, with one of several attackers arrested.
Multiple gunshots were fired near Schwedenplatz in central Vienna on Monday evening, according to police, near a major synagogue.
Minister of the Interior, Karl Nehammer said several people were injured and some believed to be killed.
“At the moment I can confirm we believe this is an apparent terror attack,” he told Austrian broadcaster ORF.
Police have urged residents to keep away from all public places or public transport.
A short time ago the APA news agency reported an update from Austria’s interior ministry, stating one attacker was “dead” and another “on the run”, while one police officer was seriously injured. A second attacker has been arrested.
The president of Vienna’s Jewish community, Oskar Deutsch, said that shots had been fired “in the immediate vicinity” of the Stadttempel synagogue but added that it was currently unknown whether the synagogue itself had been the target of an attack.
He said that the synagogue and office buildings at the same address had been closed at the time of the attack.
“It sounded like firecrackers, then we realised it was shots,” said one eyewitness quoted by ORF.
Vienna police have urged people not to share video and photos via social media. “This jeopardises police forces as well as the civilian population,” they said on Twitter.