O’Brien’s proposal for the countries to put out a joint statement of condemnation comes as President Donald Trump has tried to downplay the attack, saying in a tweet on Saturday that the media is making it a bigger deal than it is.
“While roughly 80% of these customers are located in the United States, this work so far has also identified victims in seven additional countries,” Microsoft said. “It’s certain that the number and location of victims will keep growing.”
The joint statement O’Brien proposed is being considered, one of the Five Eyes sources said, and if issued, it is unclear whether any condemnation would name Russia.
Trump suggested without evidence that “it may be China” that’s responsible. Instead of condemning the attack, or Russia, he wrote in a tweet that he had been “fully briefed and everything is well under control” — despite officials in his administration having said that the cyberattack “poses a grave risk” to networks across both the public and private sector.
The National Security Council did not immediately respond to CNN’s request for comment.