Manchester Arena attack: bomber’s brother admits involvement | Manchester Arena attack

The jailed terrorist Hashem Abedi, 23, has admitted for the first time his
involvement in planning the Manchester Arena bombing that killed 22 people , a public inquiry has heard.

Abedi, 23, the brother of the suicide bomber Salman Abedi, 22, made the admission in prison last month while he was visited by two members of the inquiry’s legal team to be interviewed as part of the inquiry into the atrocity on May 22 2017.

Abedi pleaded not guilty earlier this year to 22 counts of murder, attempted murder and plotting to cause an explosion likely to endanger life.

He did not give evidence at the Old Bailey but provided a pre-prepared defence statement in which he denied involvement, claimed to have been “shocked” by what his brother had done, and said he did not hold extremist views.

He was convicted by a jury of all the offences and was handed 24 life sentences in August with a minimum term of 55 years before he can be considered for parole.

On 22 October Abedi was interviewed in prison where he admitted he played “a full and knowing part”, the inquiry was told.

More follows …


Source link

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email

Leave a Reply