Sokoto confirms six Lagos returnees’ death, Borno gets panel
Palpable fear has gripped some residents of Ogun State as no fewer than 25 persons have died of cholera.
The death occurred between Monday and Tuesday following the outbreak of cholera in Magboro in the Obafemi-Owode Local Government Area of the state.
Our correspondent gathered that the cholera outbreak had hit Arepo, Akeran, Akintonde, Sofolarin and Abule-Oko communities under the Magboro Community Development Committee.
The development has created anxiety among the residents of the areas.
The state Commissioner for Health, Dr Tomi Coker, had confirmed the incident on Sunday.
Coker had said the disease “is predominant among Okada riders and scavengers in the area.”
Confirming the incident on Tuesday, the Chairman of the Magboro Community Development Committee, Oluwasegun Oladosu, said 15 deaths had been recorded.
He added that another 10 persons from the northern part of the country, who relocated to the Kara settlement, had also died of cholera.
Oladosu said commercial motorcyclists, who hail from the northern part of the country, were most affected by the outbreak.
He said some of the Okada riders had just returned from the North and probably might have been infected with the disease during their trips.
According to Oladosu, an eight-year-old girl has just been rushed to the community’s clinic for treatment after showing symptoms of cholera.
He stated, “Hausa don’t release their dead bodies; they have rushed to bury them. A number of them are already fleeing the community. But the information we have now is that 15 people are already dead.
“Forget about tribes, we have been living here peacefully with northerners for a long time. But some of them, especially Okada riders, travelled recently and just returned. They will always tell you the truth. Some of them came with the disease. We learnt that 10 of them, who ran to Kara, are now dead.”
The CDC chairman said a government team had visited the community and provided drugs for cholera treatment and prevention.
Oladosu called on the government to enforce sanitation rules in the community inhabited by the people, which he labelled as unkempt.
He stated, “What we have observed is that these people live in a dirty environment and that can trigger a cholera outbreak.
“The government should intervene and ensure that the environment is always clean and hygienic.”
Coker did not take her calls or respond to a text message when she was contacted by our correspondent.
In a related development, the Sokoto State Government, through the Commissioner for Health, Dr Muhammed Inname, has confirmed the death of six persons on their way back from Lagos.
Inname said in a statement that the ministry had received a report of the return of six dead bodies, all indigenes of Sanyinna in the Tambuwal Local Government Area of the state.
The commissioner stated, “The deceased, all residents of the Ojota area of Lagos State, until the unfortunate incident, earned their living in Lagos scavenging refuse dumps.
“They started having diarrhoea and vomiting before they all eventually died. Their remains were brought into the state and had since been buried according to Islamic provision.
“However, five more persons, who accompanied the dead, also had symptoms of diarrhoea and vomiting, and were all admitted to the Primary Health Centre, Sanyinna, and fortunately, four of them got better and were discharged.”
Similarly, barely a week after the state Ministry of Health officially declared the outbreak of cholera, the Borno State Government has inaugurated a 13-member committee on the control of the disease.
Shortly after the inauguration of the committee by the Deputy Governor, Usman Kadafur, on Tuesday, the Commissioner for Health and Human Services, Mrs Juliana Bitrus, revealed that additional cases had been reported in three more local government areas in Southern Borno.
“Of course, there have been increased reported cases confirmed in three new local government areas of Shani, Biu and Kwayar Kusar. This is beside the MMC, Jere, Gwoza, Kaga, Hawul, Magumeri and Damboa local government areas that the outbreak was first reported from,” she stated.
The new cases bring the number of reported cases to 917, with 43 victims already dead.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]