There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
A full night’s sleep is essential for our health and well-being.
Just how vital is sleep? According to an article from the National Institutes for Health (NIH), sleep does more than simply rejuvenate us. Sleep is also essential for the proper functioning of our brains. Lack of sleep has an immediate and negative impact on our moods and our ability to reason.
Sleep is also necessary for the regulation of heart rate, blood pressure, and blood sugar levels. Furthermore, the NIH article reveals that the efficacy of vaccines is affected by how well we’ve slept prior to getting a shot.
The quality of our sleep is just as important as the duration. We recommend sleeping before midnight to maximize the benefits of good quality sleep.
In addition, we invite you to read on for our curated collection of the best sleep quotes. We hope that after you’re done reading this article you’ll be able to give yourself permission to rest easy and appreciate the restorative properties of sleep.
43 Sleep Quotes About Getting a Full Night’s Rest
1. “Good night – may you fall asleep in the arms of a dream, so beautiful, you’ll cry when you awake.” – Michael Faudet
2. “Your future depends on your dreams, so go to sleep.” – Mesut Barazany
3. “Even a soul submerged in sleep is hard at work and helps make something of the world.” – Heraclitus
4. “Without enough sleep, we all become tall two-year-olds.” – JoJo Jensen
5. “Sleep is the golden chain that ties health and our bodies together.” – Thomas Dekker
“Sleep is the golden chain that ties health and our bodies together.” – Thomas Dekker
6. “True silence is the rest of the mind, and is to the spirit what sleep is to the body, nourishment and refreshment.” – William Penn
7. “It is a common experience that a problem difficult at night is resolved in the morning after the committee of sleep has worked on it.” – John Steinbeck
8. “The minute anyone’s getting anxious I say, ‘You must eat and you must sleep.’ They’re the two vital elements for a healthy life.” – Francesca Annis
9. “Never waste any time you can spend sleeping.” – Frank H. Knight
10. “When every inch of the world is known, sleep may be the only wilderness that we have left.” – Louise Erdrich
11. “Sleep is God. Go worship.” – Jim Butcher
12. “I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I’m awake, you know?” – Ernest Hemingway
13. “Sleep marks passing time, giving us distance from the things that have hurt us. When a person is wounded they will often fall unconscious. Similarly, someone who hears traumatic news will often swoon or faint. This is the mind’s way of protecting itself from pain.” – Patrick Rothfuss
14. “Sometimes at night I would sleep open-eyed underneath a sky dripping with stars. I was alive then.” – Albert Camus
“Sometimes at night I would sleep open-eyed underneath a sky dripping with stars. I was alive then.” – Albert Camus
15. “The man who doesn’t relax and hoot a few hoots voluntarily, now and then, is in great danger of hooting hoots and standing on his head for the edification of the pathologist and trained nurse, a little later on.” – Elbert Hubbard
16. “Sleep is an investment in the energy you need to be effective tomorrow.” – Tom Roth
17. “Sleep is the best meditation.” – Dalai Lama
18. “O bed! O bed! delicious bed!
That heaven upon earth to the weary head.” – Thomas Hood
19. “The amount of sleep required by the average person is five minutes more.” – Wilson Mizener
20. “She used to say she could taste sleep and that it was as delicious as a BLT on fresh French bread.” – Rebecca Wells
21. “Fatigue is the safest sleeping draught.” – Virginia Woolf
22. “Sleep is the interest we have to pay on the capital which is called in at death; and the higher the rate of interest and the more regularly it is paid, the further the date of redemption is postponed.” – Arthur Schopenhauer
23. “A good laugh and a long sleep are the two best cures for anything.” – Irish Proverb
24. “When action grows unprofitable, gather information; when information grows unprofitable, sleep.” – Ursula K. LeGuin
25. “God has made sleep to be a sponge by which to rub out fatigue. A man’s roots are planted in night as in a soil.” – Henry Ward Beecher
26. “Sleep deprivation is an illegal torture method outlawed by the Geneva Convention and international courts, but most of us do it to ourselves.” – Ryan Hurd
27. “If men only felt about death as they do about sleep, all terrors would cease. . . Men sleep contentedly, assured that they will wake the following morning. They should feel the same about their lives.” – Richard Matheson
28. “When I wake up, I am reborn.” – Mahatma Gandhi
“When I wake up, I am reborn.” – Mahatma Gandhi
29.“For you to sleep well at night, the aesthetic, the quality, has to be carried all the way through.” – Steve Jobs
30. “The future seems a little gloomy! Go to bed early, sleep well, eat moderately at breakfast; the future looks brighter. The world’s outlook may not have changed, but our capacity for dealing with it has.” – Arthur Lynch
31. “Happiness consists of getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing more.” – Robert A. Heinlein
32. “Think in the morning. Act in the noon. Eat in the evening. Sleep in the night.” – William Blake
33.“The way to a more productive, more inspired, more joyful life is getting enough sleep.” – Arianna Huffington
34. “I’ve always envied people who sleep easily. Their brains must be cleaner, the floorboards of the skull well swept, all the little monsters closed up in a steamer trunk at the foot of the bed.” – David Benioff
35. “There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep.” – Homer
36. “Of all the things a man may do, sleep probably contributes most to keeping him sane. It puts brackets about each day. If you do something foolish or painful today, you get irritated if somebody mentions it, today. If it happened yesterday, though, you can nod or chuckle, as the case may be. You’ve crossed through nothingness or dream to another island in Time.” – Roger Zelazny
37. “I love sleep because it’s like a time machine to breakfast.” – Unknown
38. “Sleep might be the most important aspect of building a great business, and having a high-performing body.” – Lewis Howes
39. “Happiness in simplicity can be achieved with a flexible mindset and nine hours sleep each night.” – Dalai Lama
“Happiness in simplicity can be achieved with a flexible mindset and nine hours sleep each night.” – Dalai Lama
40. “Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.” – Benjamin Franklin
41. “Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night.” – Charles Fisher
42. “Through sleep, you disconnect from the world so that you can reconnect with your soul.” – Jennifer Williamson
43. “We count it as a certainty that everyone naps in paradise.” – Anonymous
Final Thoughts on Sleep Quotes
There you have it—43 of the best sleep quotes for encouraging a full night’s rest. We hope you’ve found a favorite among the quotes we’ve handpicked for this collection.
Considering the importance of sleep to our health and well-being, we have several resources that you might be interested in checking out:
Meanwhile, if waking up or staying awake is a challenge, the following posts offer helpful tips:
Finally, if you love any of the artwork featured here, a share through your favorite social network is very much appreciated.